King’s birthday celebrations cancelled amid Covid-19
394 total views, 2 views today
By Nicole Tau
King Letsie III’s two-day 57th birthday celebration that was slated for July 16 and 17 is cancelled and the allocated funds will instead be used to flatten the Covid-19 curve in Lesotho.
The Minister of Home Affairs, Motlalentoa Letsosa, told KDNews that they cannot allow large gatherings and hinted that even the upcoming Independence Day celebration will be treated in the similar manner.
Letsosa said that this year on July 16, the Berea district was supposed to have held its own district celebrations which were going to be followed by several celebrations in other districts on July 17.
All things considered, Letsosa said that they had engaged with His Majesty King Letsie III concerning his upcoming birthday celebration in the Berea district and have decided that, in light of Covid-19, it was best that the celebrations are cancelled.
“King Letsie thought it’s best that the funds that were budgeted for his birthday celebrations be used in ways to fight the Covid-19 pandemic issue in Lesotho,” Letsosa said.
Letsosa could not disclose the exact amount that was budgeted for the King’s birthday.
According to him, the proposed budget had already been cut prior to Covid-19 issues and that the exact amount will only be officially released by the accounting department early next week.
He, however, confirmed that in honour of King Letsie’s Birthday, there will be a private ceremony led by the Christian Council of Lesotho.