Calls for Tšepong, Nurses ceasefire

 597 total views,  2 views today

By Rets’elisitsoe Khabo

The International Council of Nurses has called for Prime Minister Moeketsi Majoro to take decisive action and resolve the impasse between the Tšepong Consortium and its 343 nurses sacked last week Friday, March 12.

In its letter to the Prime Minister, the council urged for a speedily amicable solution to the nurses and their employer operating the Queen ‘Mamohato Memorial Hospital as a Public-Private Partnership.

The council said Majoro and his government must do everything that they can to resolve the current situation and find a resolution that both respect and recognizes the rights, safety, and value of Lesotho’s nursing workforce and ensures the provision of safe, high quality and accessible healthcare for people of Lesotho.

The council further said it believes that every nurse has a right to work in a safe and healthy environment, to receive recognition and protection, and to have just and fair remuneration for their work.

“There is now overwhelming evidence to demonstrate that health, safety, and well-being of patients and of nurses are two sides of the same coin.

“…hopes challenges faced by nurses will be resolved shortly and Lesotho nurses are able to go back to their work of caring for the people of Lesotho,” said the council.

Leave a comment